Street Photography at MacArthur Park

MacArthur/Westlake Park is one of L.A.’s oldest parks. Originally an unappreciated swamp used as a city dump, L.A.’s mayor during the late 1800s, William Workman, proposed to have the “swamp” converted into a city park. MacArthur/Westlake Park opened to the public in 1890. (For more history on the park, read the following article by Nathan Masters: “Westlake (MacArthur) Park: How a Neighborhood Dump Became a Civic Treasure”

MacArthur Park pics with Jeanne 033Recently took a trip to this historical landmark with my Auntie Jeanne to practice street photography. What a great place to people watch…families enjoying picnics, kids playing on the swings and slides…such a fun, photographic atmosphere!

I really enjoyed visiting the park, seeing what it’s like now, and listening to stories from Jeanne of how it was when she was a kid. Too bad they shut down the boathouse…must have been fun to take boat rides across the lake! ~Kat (pics by Kat)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Historic Sites, In the City, Photography

8 Comments on “Street Photography at MacArthur Park”

1. Mar 04, 2014 at 9:45 am #

So MacArthur Park didn’t melt in the rain after all. That’s reassuring.

• Mar 04, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Apparently not! (I’m jumping in here as I rather doubt Kat knows your reference!) ~SueBee

• Mar 04, 2014 at 11:45 am #

You can send her to this article:

I first knew the song from the Richard Harris version in 1968. A few years ago Jimmy Webb performed solo in Austin and did an acoustic version of his song that was very different. Both were good.

• Mar 04, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

Will do. Thanks! I also knew from the Richard Harris version, 68. ~SueBee

2. Jan 24, 2014 at 6:44 am #

I feel like I’m there!!!

• Jan 24, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Yay, photo success! Thank you for your comment! 🙂 ~Kat

3. Jan 23, 2014 at 7:17 am #

I love photos like these filled with folks going about their activities. There’s nothing like observing people is there 🙂

• Jan 23, 2014 at 9:25 am #

There really isn’t! So much fun to people watch 🙂 Thank you so much for your comment! 🙂 ~Kat

Exploratorius