On Broadway, part 1 (22 photos)

Met up with a street photography group yesterday morning in downtown Los Angeles. That was a first for me, as majority of my photography expeditions are solo, or occasionally with Kat. There must have been 20 people gathered at the prescribed meeting point, but I branched off with one other woman instead, and we headed out. For all the stopping that street photography entails, I doubt the rest of the group stayed together for very long, or at most, they would have progressed perhaps a block!

This way, that way, who knows

This way, that way, who knows

During this exploration of Broadway, I was acutely aware of a comment made at a recent photography club meeting I attended (another first as I try to expand my social horizons). The meeting, subject matter architectural photography, was led by a professional photographer who’d spent his career life making photos for high-end real estate ads, building supply companies, developers, etc. He made a point of saying photos of buildings must be taken (special lens) or photo-shopped to square the lines of the building so they’re parallel with edge of the photo. I don’t use photoshop. I may brighten or deepen contrast using the Windows Photo Gallery simple “fix” slider buttons, but that’s it. I’ve rarely cropped in, and only on occasion change color to B&W. I prefer taking photos and leaving as they are as much as possible. I suppose it’s a personal thing, but as I lined up my building photos, I tried my best for a squared shot!

At any rate, during the day, which included an afternoon at the Los Angeles Times Book Festival, I snapped 625 photos. As a photographer, the most time-consuming part is choosing which photos to share… narrowing that 625 down to small groups for upload. Then, re-sizing (haven’t figured out batch method yet), and doing a bit of brightening if needed. I doubt non-photographers can appreciate the time we spend developing material for our blogs. In my opinion, nothing else demonstrates our passion for this hobby more than that! I hope you’ll join me as I walk On Broadway over the course of several separate articles. ~SueBee (photos by SueBee)

Tags: , ,

Categories: In the City, Photography

9 Comments on “On Broadway, part 1 (22 photos)”

1. Apr 14, 2014 at 8:40 pm #

You nailed Broadway! Good job.

2. Apr 13, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

I enjoyed your day out.

3. Apr 13, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

Nice! Interesting pictures. Nothing better than capturing street life 🙂

• Apr 13, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

Thanks so much, for commenting & your compliment!! ~SueBee

4. Apr 13, 2014 at 11:40 am #

Hey there!!! Try shooting Analog I think… When shooting film, you are bound to know exactly what you are doing. With film, we come back with 40 pictures and most of them are awesome…well you have to nail the exposure, how you frame the picture or how to direct the model so that he or she doesn’t have his or her eyes closed in the moment you release the shutter. Every picture costs money and believe me, you want to be sure to know your camera beforehand. Furthermore, most of the old cameras have got only manual focus lenses and you need an external light meter to get the right exposure. This sounds a little bit frightening to someone who has experience only in digital photography. It’s a steep learning curve but it’s absolutely worth it. Get some old camera most are built like tanks and they are of superior quality compared to the newest DSLRs. And on Ebay you will find really cheap ones with good old lenses. Have a nice day!!!

• Apr 13, 2014 at 11:52 am #

You’ve given great advice! Thanks so much 🙂 I spent my entire life wanting a “real” camera, other than a cheapy point and shoot, and a bit more than a year ago, bought the Nikon D5100. It was such a big step for me, and learning curve is huge, so I’ll most likely need to get past that first before I can justify another purchase. But I do appreciate the insight! ~SueBee

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. On Broadway, part 2 (21 photos) | SueBee and Kat - Apr 24, 2014

[…] photography walking tour I did recently on Broadway in downtown Los Angeles, as started in part 1. I won’t write anything, rather, I’ll let the photos speak for themselves. I think they […]

Eye For A Pic