Cooling off at Balboa Island

I made the traffic-free 25 minute drive to Balboa Island late yesterday afternoon; the beach was calling me! I parked at a shopping center on Bayside Drive at Jamboree, and walked over the bridge onto the island. I always find that’s the best solution to the crowds and lack of parking spots on the island itself. For those not familiar with Balboa Island, there are two ways onto it: the little bridge from the mainland, or the car ferry from Newport Peninsula.

I enjoy walking, so I parked where I described, then wandered around on the island, first heading through the main business district on Marine Avenue (pictured below),Cooling off at Balboa Island Cooling off at Balboa Island-001

then I made a right on Park Avenue, in the direction of the ferry dock. Sadly, real estate prices have gone through the roof in recent years, and mansionization has kicked into high gear on the island, with each homeowner trying to ‘one-up’ his neighbor. The adorable little beach cottages are being ‘remodeled’ to become multi-story monstrosities. It’s a very sad sign of our times, in my opinion. Those who one would think ‘have it all’, still don’t have enough and need more, more. The pictures below show an original cottage, while the next picture shows a remodel going up, up, until it blocks the neighbors’ homes and as much of their view and daylight as possible.Cooling off at Balboa Island-003Cooling off at Balboa Island-002For those living on the island, oftentimes their mode of transportation is a golf cart as shown below, or perhaps the yacht docked out back,

Cooling off at Balboa Island-004while their mail carrier is often rewarded by unique and crafty mailboxes.

Cooling off at Balboa Island-005

I eventually ended up at the ferry dock where I then walked onto it, paid the $1.00 fee, and was smoothly sailing across Newport Bay toward the Fun Zone on Newport Peninsula. Once across, I headed the few short blocks down to the beach. Click on any picture to open the gallery below:

As I headed back along Marine Avenue to cross the bridge and reach my parking spot, I took these pictures of two island main-stays, the frozen banana shops. Both have claimed to be ‘The Original’ since 1945, and both continue to thrive. Who’s going to argue with one more way to enjoy a visit to Balboa Island! ~SueBee (photos by SueBee)

Tags: , , , , ,