Camping in Anza-Borrego – Day 2

Day 1, as described in my article “Camping in Anza Borrego,” was fantastic…great hikes, amazing campground…awesomeness 🙂 Day 2 of hiking led us to a wonderful trail called Palm Canyon Trail. The location is known for an oasis home to some of the last native Palm trees in California. Also a great place to see Big Horn Sheep! We were all so excited to hear from the park ranger that sheep had been spotted just as we started the hike…so we kept our fingers crossed and cameras ready! And sure enough, we saw a whole group of them! Super close too! Cam climbed a rock to get a better angled picture, and one of the rams climbed the rock literally 5 feet away from him! This was such an exciting experience…first time I’ve ever seen these sheep in person. Two of the rams started head-butting each other…one of the little ones was prancing around. Absolutely incredible!

I was also excited to randomly spot a roadrunner along the trail…they’re definitely speedy, but I was able to capture a couple of pics! Can you spot him in the pics below?

This hike was an amazing one! The trail ran between two cliffs, with a little stream running through…lots of rocks to climb over, but not too strenuous of a hike. The oasis at the end was so cool! A completely random bunch of Palm trees growing next to a small waterfall…a burst of green among the gorgeous oranges and browns of the rocky cliffs. This hike I will definitely take again next time! Here are a few pics from the hike 🙂

This was such a fun trip! I can’t wait to re-visit in the spring when hopefully the wildflowers are in bloom! (If we ever get enough rain here, lol). I’ll be posting another article soon with pics of the desert plants. 🙂 ~Kat (pics by Kat)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Deserts, Hikes, Photography

14 Comments on “Camping in Anza-Borrego – Day 2”

1. Apr 05, 2014 at 9:53 am #

I would love to go on a hike, but there isn’t much available around here.

• Apr 05, 2014 at 9:57 am #

Time to schedule a quick visit to SoCal, lol!

• Apr 05, 2014 at 10:00 am #

I am certain to visit the SF/Oakland area this year, the Southland is not so certain.

• Apr 05, 2014 at 10:05 am #

If you get down near Santa Cruz, there’s a spot along the coast that’s about as remote as it gets, with perfect hiking, without one sound of a car or human. I call it my Serengeti Beach because of the type of tree there. My favorite place in the world.

• Apr 05, 2014 at 10:05 am #

Thanks for the info.

2. Apr 04, 2014 at 5:36 pm #

Very desert California-ish. Looks like you really had fun exploring.

3. Apr 03, 2014 at 2:18 pm #

Ha! I remember a trip to Anza Borrego with great fondness, stayed in one of the charming little rock shelters. Palm Canyon is very cool place and was likewise fortunate to see the bighorn sheep, though not as close as you were able to be.

• Apr 03, 2014 at 9:23 pm #

I can’t wait to go back! Absolutely loved seeing the sheep! Hope I see them again that close next time! Maybe I’ll have a better zoom lens along 🙂 ~Kat

4. Feb 08, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

I do my camping through your blog…Thank you

5. Feb 07, 2014 at 6:49 am #

OMG, those rams are freakin’ cute! 🙂 I can’t wait for the snow to melt here so I can get out and experience comfortable weather hikes.

• Feb 07, 2014 at 8:54 am #

Aren’t they adorable?! Hope it warms up where you live too! Nothing like hiking 🙂 ~Kat

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Plants of Anza-Borrego | SueBee and Kat - Feb 08, 2014

[…] P.S. For more pics and stories of Anza-Borrego, see my other two articles: “Camping in Anza-Borrego,” and “Camping in Anza-Borrego – Day 2“ […]

Exploratorius