An Afternoon at the Bowers Museum

(26 Photos) Tech problems behind, new laptop purchased and quickly set up, our blog is back in action! Other than the inconvenience, and nearly going blind trying to view things on a miniature iPhone screen in the interim, I’m not too annoyed. My previous laptop, gifted to me by my son, lasted nearly seven years. That’s not bad in today’s absurd “toss it” world.

I spent some wonderful hours last Sunday at the Bowers Museum, in Santa Ana, a local favorite of mine. The first Sunday of each month is free entry, sponsored by the retail chain Target. With rotating exhibits as well as wonderful fixed ones, a new cultural program and festival each month, singing, dancing, arts and crafts for the kids, I highly recommend a visit. July’s theme, just after the 4th of July (Independence Day, a national holiday), was Americana. I’ll be sharing the photos in several articles over the next few days. As with most places I visit, there were tons of interesting subjects to point my camera at! ~SueBee (photos by SueBee) PS: I know Kat has photos to upload from her recent adventures, as well, once she gets a chance to go through them, and has some extra time on her busy 24 year old hands!

From the Bowers Museum website regarding this particular Target Free Sunday: “Free admission is included to the Bowers Museum permanent exhibitions, Kidseum and limited engagement exhibitions including, Heavenly Horses: 2,000 years of Chinese and Japanese Equine Art; Chuck Jones: Doodles of a Genius; The Lure of Chinatown: Painting California’s Chinese Communities, Sacred Realms: Temple Murals by Shashi Dhoj Tulachand; Spirits and Headhunters: Art of the Pacific Islands; California Legacies: Missions and Ranchos; Vision of the Shaman, Song of the Priest; California: The Golden Years; Ancient Arts of China, and Framed: Step into Art at Kidseum.”

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Art, Exhibits, Museums

10 Comments on “An Afternoon at the Bowers Museum”

1. Jul 13, 2014 at 9:15 am #

Amazing photographs. Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience. And welcome back!

• Jul 13, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks for your very kind comment!! Glad to be back 🙂

2. Jul 12, 2014 at 5:30 pm #

I too love the Bowers – I’ve visited many times, for many years. Glad to know about the free day. Our friends at Target also sponsor free Sundays at the Museum of Latin American Art down in Long Beach. Our So-Cal riches!!!!

• Jul 12, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

I didn’t know that about the Museum of Latin American Art! My oldest daughter lives in LB, I must let her know and join in a visit!

3. Jul 12, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

The free entry was very good value.

• Jul 12, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

It’s quite a bargain. I try to go every few months and have enjoyed each visit.

4. Jul 12, 2014 at 7:20 am #

Those horse sculptures look so delicate.

• Jul 12, 2014 at 7:42 am #

Hard to imagine they lasted so many years. They’re beautiful. Thank you for writing.

5. Jul 12, 2014 at 7:06 am #

amazing

Natalia's Pics

The lens of the world is wide.

Eye For A Pic