Catalina’s Wrigley Memorial and Botanical Gardens

During my recent visit to Catalina Island, I took a little red trolley car (the Avalon city bus) and rode it through town and up the hill to the Botanical Gardens. I had no idea until I reached the top, walking an uphill, dirt roadway on a very hot day, that I was at the place where William Wrigley, Jr was buried. I’d heard about Mr Wrigley and his contributions over the years, and of course I knew about his chewing gum, but that’s about it. The view was incredible, the Memorial beautiful, the native plants interesting. Seems about as perfect a final resting place as there could be for someone who loved Catalina Island as he did. ~SueBee (photos by SueBee)

The following is from the Gardens website: “The Wrigley Memorial honors the memory of William Wrigley Jr., who lived from 1861 to 1932. Although best known as the founder of the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, largest manufacturer of chewing gum in the world, he also played an instrumental role in the history of Catalina Island. He truly loved the island, and with undying enthusiasm and energy, he brought numerous improvements: public utilities, new steamships, a hotel, The Casino building, and extensive plantings of trees, shrubs and flowers. William Wrigley Jr.’s greatest legacy was his remarkable vision and plan for the future of Catalina Island — that it remain protected for all generations to enjoy.”

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Gardens, Historic Sites, Photography

8 Comments on “Catalina’s Wrigley Memorial and Botanical Gardens”

1. Jul 30, 2014 at 3:12 pm #

You have surpassed yourself with today’s pictures I think.

• Jul 30, 2014 at 4:38 pm #

Your comment is much appreciated. Thank you 🙂 It’s a very photogenic place. Can’t wait to go back again.

2. Jul 30, 2014 at 9:27 am #

Very interesting. I did not realize that the gum was actually named after a person.

• Jul 30, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

Makes me want some chewing gum, and I don’t even like the stuff!

3. Jul 30, 2014 at 8:17 am #

Ooooh, I like that trail out into the desert…so many photo ops, I imagine.

• Jul 30, 2014 at 4:36 pm #

Well, I returned home with 400+ digital images, and considering I was there just a little over 6 hours… yup, lots to take pictures of!

4. Jul 30, 2014 at 7:29 am #

I had no idea that William Wrigley had so much to do with the history of Catalina Island. Very cool indeed, and I love the photo essay. I think that I will visit when it gets cooler.

• Jul 30, 2014 at 4:35 pm #

I was in same boat. I can’t wait to go back, with perhaps an overnight tossed in so I have more time to explore. Cooler would be good, so long as the water is smooth. Add to your must-visit list!

Exploratorius