San Gabriel Mission District, 1

(16 photos in gallery) Intent on avoiding freeway traffic on the drive home to Orange from the San Gabriel Valley a few weeks ago, I realized my detour would take me near the Mission. I also realized, in spite of growing up in Southern California, I’d never actually been there. With a quick stop to check directions, I made my way to the San Gabriel Mission District.

A child growing up in California learns about the Missions and early history of Spanish settlement during their 4th grade studies. I distinctly remember the class assignment of building a model based on one of the 21 Missions. My model was made from sugar cubes on a sheet of cardboard, and was so heavy by the time it was done, it nearly broke as mom helped me haul it to class.

The photos in this gallery are of the San Gabriel Mission building exterior, while in coming days, the posts will feature the grounds and surrounding area. ~SueBee

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Historic Sites, Out 'n About, Photography

8 Comments on “San Gabriel Mission District, 1”

1. Jun 01, 2015 at 2:29 pm #

I have read about this but never seen it before.

2. Jun 01, 2015 at 7:06 am #

Very…spanish-mexican style.Like it.I had a big house in north of Italy on the hills made that style (I mean windows,hand made floors and walls,old wood and fireplaces in every room including bathrooms) nice!and nice reportage of course 🙂

• Jun 01, 2015 at 5:59 pm #

I’ll bet your house was gorgeous! I love the old style architecture. Thank you for your compliment. 🙂

3. Jun 01, 2015 at 6:26 am #

A fascinating set. (I’ve never entered Westminster Abbey)

• Jun 01, 2015 at 5:59 pm #

It’s strange to think tourists visit places that we ourselves never get to!

• Jun 01, 2015 at 11:41 pm #

Yes – and I’ve walked or run past it so often, sometimes photographing the tourists 🙂

• Jun 02, 2015 at 6:29 am #

Pictures of tourists are always fun!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. San Gabriel Mission District, 2 | SueBee and Kat - Jun 13, 2015

[…] photos in gallery) Continuing from my previous post featuring the San Gabriel Mission District, the photos in this gallery further explore the exterior […]

Eye For A Pic