Hello 2016!

A new dawn, a new day, as they say! After what seems an eternity, and yet in reality just over a month, I’m back in blogging action. The Worst Move of All Time is completed!! I’m proud (and exhausted) to state the majority of boxes are unpacked, window treatments and pictures are hung, rooms are nicely arranged, and I still have my wits about me. Whew!

The thing that made this the Worst Move of All Time is that my permanent (emphasis on permanent) home is the one my brother and I had purchased for my 98 year old mom in early 2015, where she lived with the assistance of caregivers. After twice going in hospital last year, though, mom was then transferred to a nursing home where she’s doing reasonably well and will continue to live. Once we realized she wouldn’t be coming back home, the plan was to sell the mobile home, a small, vintage, adorable unit situated in a senior citizen park. Then, a light bulb went off in my head…. I could save half my monthly rent if I moved into it! Brilliant plan, I thought, and turned in 30 days notice at my apartment.

I knew I’d have to downsize my furniture while moving from a very large apartment, including Kat’s baby grand piano (not an easy thing to deal with). But, I hadn’t realized how much stuff mom had in this small mobile home that needed to go somewhere until I’d have time to sort through. Mom collected antique glassware and furniture, so most of her things aren’t the type to drop at the local donation center. Taking one of the biggest loads off my shoulders, though, I gifted the piano to Kat, and let her deal with it! After all, it’s her baby! She feels very lucky that her boyfriend’s mom had room for it until such time as Kat and her boyfriend have a bigger home themselves.

The move happened in stages. Over the course of three weekends (because I still work a full time job), using three separate rental trucks, three volunteer children and their partners, one set of professional movers for my antique china cabinets and heavier furniture pieces, one set of piano movers, two private storage units, one round of antibiotics for bad cough and head cold that wouldn’t go away… here I am, settled and happy, and wishing all my blogging friends a joyous, peaceful, healthy 2016!

I took a break from the unpacking yesterday, late afternoon, to visit a favorite place, Corona del Mar. The sunset was spectacular! ~SueBee

Tags: , ,