El Dorado Nature Center (1)

While growing weary of packing boxes for an upcoming move, I decided fresh air was in order. Following a recent recommendation of my oldest daughter, Angelika, I drove to the El Dorado Nature Center, just off the 605 freeway in Long Beach. El Dorado Nature Center 1 (1)My visit there was just what the doctor (me) ordered! It’s impossible to imagine this gorgeous nature park is next to a major freeway. Any sound of traffic was well hidden by lush growth. There are multiple nature trails, one semi-paved, 1/4 mile in length, and others ranging from one to two miles each. The variety of plant life and trees is extensive, there are lakes, streams, birds, water turtles, benches to rest and relax, a nature center with gift shop, classes offered… it’s fabulous!

Painting at Nature Center building

Painting at Nature Center building

Angelika is shocked that, having lived in Long Beach since college, she never knew this place existed. It’s a spectacular spot to visit. Being a regional park, parking costs $7 cash, but entry to the nature center is free. I’m so glad for her recommendation. Of course, I took lots of photos (photographers paradise!) so have broken up into two separate articles, today #1, another day soon will be #2.

Special note to my blog friend, Tootlepedal: I was on the lookout for mushrooms and fungi, and spot some I did! Picture below in gallery. ~SueBee (photos by SueBee)

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Out 'n About, Photography

15 Comments on “El Dorado Nature Center (1)”

1. Feb 14, 2014 at 10:26 pm #

I think you’ve found paradise just off the freeway! Now, that’s handy! These are great images, Suebee! I enjoyed them.

2. Feb 12, 2014 at 4:14 am #

Looks like a wonderful place to spend an afternoon. Love the mushroom shot!

3. Feb 11, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

You have very advanced ducks!

• Feb 11, 2014 at 5:03 pm #

Yes, I agree. They must have excellent tutors in Long Beach!

4. Feb 11, 2014 at 12:38 pm #

El Dorado Nature Center looks like a beautiful place. And your pictures gives us a wonderful glimpse into this world. Great images.

5. Feb 11, 2014 at 9:19 am #

Your image collections are looking better post by post 🙂

6. mk
    Feb 11, 2014 at 7:54 am #

I have added it to my list of places to visit – thanks! (And sorry to hear you’re moving away)

• Feb 11, 2014 at 7:57 am #

You will love it there! My move is 10 miles, so not much in grand scheme of things but saving tons of commute time to work! 🙂

• mk
        Feb 11, 2014 at 8:13 am #

glad to hear it

7. J Blanche
    Feb 11, 2014 at 6:33 am #

Reblogged this on Its me…pleasure!.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Duck in the Clouds | SueBee and Kat - Feb 16, 2014

[…] a reflection on one of the lakes at El Dorado Nature Center, featured in my other articles here and here. ~SueBee (photos by […]

2. El Dorado Nature Center (2) | SueBee and Kat - Feb 15, 2014

[…] is the second part of my previous article introducing the El Dorado Nature Center in Long Beach. I visited there this past Saturday and […]

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Natalia's Pics

The lens of the world is wide.

A dog and cat in clothing. Puns. Travel. Not necessarily in that order.